#views – I use it a lot on our Instagram account. People like views and a quick google as to ‘why’ leads me to Michael Forster at the University of Vienna who says that ‘the enjoyment of a view comes from a reaction of the brain’s reward centre’.
Personally I like wide open spaces, the greener the better, perhaps a lake thrown in there, maybe a trickling stream. Francesca, now a fully fledged #venuegeek, prefers a cityscape, she likes being able to see the whole city and generally finds them impressive. I, on the other hand, have a problem with man made heights, I’m not happy there at all, put me on top of a mountain and I’m absolutely fine but anything past the 7th floor of a building and I start to feel weak at the knees and anxious.
Still, people like it, after all what a great back drop for a #selfie, and having a great view is always popular at an event so below I’ve listed my top Hotels and Venues in London with cracking views:
- The Shangri-La Hotel at The Shard – Of course we must start at The Shangri-La Hotel occupying the 34th floor all the way up to the 52nd floor of the tallest building in the UK. The views are vast from this vantage point and the three boardroom event spaces are super impressive, all enjoying uninterrupted views of London and beyond.
- Oxo Tower – based on South Bank with fabulous views of the Thames and across to The City – The rooftop Bar, Restaurant & Brasserie is an impressive spot for an exclusive use event for up to 700 people – alternatively great for smaller semi-private events too.
- Intercontinental O2 – a firm favourite of ours at Select Event Solutions – so many views! To start with the Riverview Suite with floor to ceiling windows looking out across the Thames to Canary Wharf, even I find that view impressive! Then to spoil you further we can pop up to 18th floor to Eighteen Sky Bar and see the O2, Thames Barrier, Canary Wharf and The Docklands.
- Sky Garden – situated at 20 Fenchurch Street, otherwise known as the Walkie Talkie, the top three floors are a public garden and entry is free, you just need to book tickets online. They also have four stunning event spaces and restaurants you can hire for private events.
- IET Savoy Place – on the North Bank of the Thames, just across from Waterloo you’ll find this gem of a venue. Things really start to get interesting from the third floor up where you’ll find the Riverside Room with it’s own private terrace and one floor up you’ll find yourself on the Johnson Roof Terrace with views from Westminster all the way to St Paul’s.
Have we missed a hidden gem? Let us know – Francesca will go check it out whilst I stay on terra firma.